Are you one of the good ones or bad ones?

A few years back, I worked on a project for my career counseling class.  One of my team members practiced as a Christian counselor. We drove home together from a project meeting and started talking about religion and Christianity.  I went on at length to explain that I stopped following the Christian religion, largely do to a segment of Christians (conservative, fundamentalist, hateful, and holier than though). My friend then explained to me that their are good, loving Christians and then there are the spiritual posers (my term, not hers). The spiritual posers walk and talk like Christians but instead of turning the other cheek, they are more likely to throw the Bible at you.  I liked my classmates explanation.  I want to avoid grouping all Christian on account  a few unwieldy and loud thumpers.  I told myself that if I were a Christian, then I would be one of the good ones (loving, justice-seeking, compassionate).  Who is holier than though now?

I admit that I want to avoid mean people, regardless of the context of what brought them to that state. It is also possible that I would feel the same way about orthodox buddhist or hindus or muslims if I lived in parts of the world where those religions dominate. Painful experiences with others leads me to thinking of the world in black or white terms. It feels like a better way to handle myself than by becoming vulnerable and getting kicked over by someone else in the name of their god.

Take out of my post what you will. My dream is to see the best in people and to be the loving example that I want to see in others.  Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking White Male Privilege for Granted

The Death of a Good Friend's Mother