The Death of a Good Friend's Mother



A close friend texts me and tells me that his mother’s health took a turn for the worse and she has a few days to live, instead of a few weeks or months that the doctors originally predicted. I feel sad when I hear this. On one level, I feel the pain of my friend who has to say goodbye to his mom.  They were very close.  She raised him as a single parent for many years and he was an only child. A connection like that lasts a lifetime and brings great joy and comfort to both parties. On another level, I remember the close bond that I had with my mother for the first 34 years of my life. She died in 2002 and I continue to miss her. Living without my mom in my life has gotten easier but I still reach out for her in my mind when I want comfort or someone that I can pour my heart out to.  I love you, Mom.


Last night, I receive a call that my friend's mom died.  The sadness swells within me as I think of my friend and remember the warmth and love that his mom offered to him and me.  Life does not seem fair. We all die and that makes me sad. Memories offer comfort as I keep the connection with my mom and my friend's mom.  Memories are not the same as physical presence but they will have to do.

Damn those mirror neurons. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking White Male Privilege for Granted

Are you one of the good ones or bad ones?